Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 30, 2015

Knowing Yourself is the Beginning of All Wisdom

Knowing Yourself is the Beginning of All Wisdom (Aristotle Quote)

Knowing Yourself is the Beginning of All Wisdom (Aristotle Quote)
For much of the first 40 years of my life I struggled.
I lived in an almost constant state of anxiety and various levels of unhappiness, unease, and disease.
For most of that time I had allowed others tell me who I was and how I should show up in the world.  My family and teachers and the culture I lived in choose the schools I attended, the clothes I wore, the career I entered.
In the first years of my live I “ventured out” every once in awhile with a unique thought or desire that fell outside of what was expected but each time I was told, in one way or another, that I was “wrong”, and being young and impressionable I believed it.
So I conformed
Sound familiar?
Fortunately for me the anxiety grew into full blown panic disorder to a degree that there was no choice but to respond.
Also, fortunately, I would not (don’t ask me why now) medicate the symptoms away.  Somehow the idea felt like a death sentence.
So instead I embarked on the greatest journey of my life.  The journey of self discovery.
Everyone is a genius.  But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree it will spend its life believing it is stupid. – Einstein
The Aristotle quote that titles this post tells us to know yourself.  Einstein implies that when we do we will unlock a genius.
Pretty cool, right :-)
So, do you know who you are?  Are you making the world a better place by sharing your genius?
I can tell you, for certainty, that if…..
  • You have to drag yourself out of bed in the morning
  • You are going to work everyday for the paycheck, benefits, and vacation time
  • You are dealing with anxiety, depression, unease,  or a general sense that you are “missing something”
Then you are living someone else’s idea of what your life should be.
and I can also tell you that, with a simple choice, you can change that beginning, well, Now :-)
The following are some ideas to help you tap into the wisdom promised in the Aristotle quote.  Play with just one, or play with them all.  Just choose to take these first steps on what I promise you will be a journey that far exceeds your wildest imaginations….
1) Take a few minutes everyday to “write a letter” to that aspect of you buried deep that already knows who and what you are.  Write about your concerns, ask your questions, discuss possibilities.
2) After writing the letter consider sitting quietly for some period of time (5 minutes is long enough to start) to give that wise part of you a chance to answer.
3) If you are a meditator (or you want to be) spend time in daily meditative contemplation on the question “Who Am I?”
4) Make a list of the things you love to do or dream of doing.  Commit to spending more time on one or more of those things each week.
5) Take more chances, follow hunches, commit to simply putting more fun in your life.
 Let this simple Aristotle quote jump start the greatest journey of your life, to know yourself :-)

The image at the top of this post is one of what will soon be 100′s of wallpapers that will be available to you, always for FREE, at http://wordsofwisdom.co.  Just click on the image below to get all the details and to start downloading your favorite wallpapers today!
Worfd of Wisdom wallpaper

- See more at: http://www.evolutionezine.net/aristotle-quote-know-yourself/#sthash.8BaoPr77.dpuf

Sponsored:  Royale Business Club "Helping People is Our Way of Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment